Wednesday 17 July 2013

Cultural Stereotype: Why Multiple Body Piercing Appear Whorish To Most Nigerians

Unknown  |  at   5:29 am  |  No comments

I want to believe we all know what body piercing is, hence multiple body piercing. Any part of the body is a veritable site for piercing to lovers of body piercing. Let's see how most Nigerians react to multiple body piercing.

“Let us forget about fashion, any decent Nigerian girl won't punch holes all over her body. If you see body piercings all around on a girl then she is a slut or some runs chic”

The quote above is the average sentiment of most Nigerians towards body piercing both male and female based on responses on the issue. Yeah some would say Never Judge A Book By Its Cover. The natural opposing response to that is You Are Addressed The Way You Dress. There are some morally offensive dress codes generally associated solely with prostitutes, they usually employ these indecent dressings and accessories to attract patronage. So no right thinking decent will want to dress like unless that’s your true nature.

What About The Health Benefits Or Implication Of Multiples Body Piercing?
There is no health benefits whatsoever associated with multiple body piercing. Rather, it often comes with numerous diverse health implications or issues. Major complication is granulomatous responses, melanomas and basal cell carcinomas. Other hazards from body piercing include:
  1. Blood poisoning
  2. Localised severe swelling and trauma around the piercing site
  3. Scarring (Kelooids)
  4. Localised infection like Hepatitis
  5. Allergic reactions to metals and antiseptics
  6. Severe bleeding, etc.
Sample Opinions Of Others From Nairaland
“I can't judge a book by its cover but even as a girl I'm guilty of looking at someone with multiple piercings as irresponsible. But then again the way you dress is the way you'll be addressed, no matter how decent they are, I don't think anyone with piercings will be taken seriously”

“If it is not your people's culture to ‘multi-pierce’, refrain from adopting it. Such mundane fantasies will do you more harm than good. I hate multiple body piercings. Especially in the nose. It looks like snot. I no! Back in university, I had d exact same piercing in the pic. I no no who send me message o! Exploring tinz. Na in I go chook bar for nose, gawd! Painful and It NEVER heals!!!! I had to take that shyte out. Never again! At least i dint go extreme with mine unlike mi sis. Trust me u don’t wanna no d amount of butchering she pack. Nips, nose, lips etc.”

“Okay here is the thing, I often see Nigerian girls with multiple ear piercings (three and above) as slightly "cheap" girls or girls with easy values!... I know I may be wrong about some but all the bad chicks I know have a minimum of two piercings!!.... (And I know a lot of bad chicks oh). Right from university days, I started noticing that the more piercings they have, the more "sluttty" they are. So do you agree that Nigerian girls with multiple ear piercing are more often than not, wayward? Is it just me or do you all also feel same way or at least notice more wayward tendencies in multiply pierced chicks”

“Piercings aren’t a clear indication of personality type. Some girls just like how they look, so they get them. Trends are trends if you know what I mean”

“I can't tell for sure. But sincerely having multiple body piercing and stuffs turns me off big time.... That's just me anyway, who cares.”

“When I go round offices, I see girls who are mature and looking for marriage with multiple piercings on the ear but one earing and trying to hide the other holes. One of them told me once that it was just a childish mistake she made in the university. I bet if anyone would believe her. When will women learn that most compliments that men pay them are not from the bottom of their hearts? Men, most times compliment ladies because it makes them feel good and guarantees the man easier access to her "London". Men are always like: "what the heck, she is not my sister or wife". Ladies, please grow some brain”

“I grew up in the northern part of Nigeria and it’s not a big deal, (teenagers pierce a lot here) I have four pierces on my ears but I make use of just two.”

“Though not econometrically proven, I however believe that women with multiple body piercings especially when it's beyond two, look whorish, or at least have the tendency to be.”

Why would any girl insert 4 holes in her ears!!! Just because it’s cool! Naija men will treat you like a LovePeddler! #fact”



“I think MOST girls that have multiple piercing are not bad some do it because of culture while some do it for fashion but seriously i don’t see the sense in multiple piercing it doesn’t boost your appearance more than one piercing does...but if some girls think it is cool they might as well pierce their whole face in the name of fashion.”



“Body Piercing should not be used to judge someone. Some people like fashion and they remain decent. Some girls don’t were jewelries doesn’t make them decent either. Fashion trend and decency have links but are two different things.”

“Any form of body modification is a huge turn off to me. Let us forget about fashion, any decent Nigerian girl won't punch holes all over her body. If you see pierces all around on a girl then she is a slut or some runs chic.”

Personal Opinion
I grew up like most Nigerians in an environment where girls get only one ear piercing and boys don’t. deeper Life Church members don’t even pierce their ears, it’s against their doctrine.

Then piercing and inking was strictly the stock and trade of prostitutes. I repeat strictly the lifestyle of prostitutes. These piercings and inking most times is a sign of membership to a certain whore clique.

But I know better now. Most people are very eccentric with fashion. They want to be “trendy” or set the trend. Having multiple piercings doesn’t mean the person is a whore. Nevertheless the childhood knowledge imbibed is still inside me and can’t be ignored completely.

Having excessive body piercings and excessive inking of one’s body is a major turn off for me. That’s just me though.

Conclusion
General experience and sentiments about multiple body piercing was rooted in age long practice of prostitutes in Nigeria. They popularized it first before entertainers and showbiz industry splashed it around in music videos and also through their lifestyle. Like most goods and services, multiple body piercing is an imported lifestyle except for a few clans in the northern part of Nigeria.

THANK You For Visiting

Please Kindly Leave Your Comments And Share This Post. We Really Appreciate It. Do Visit Always>

0 comments :

Copyright © 2014 The Chronicled
Proudly Powered by Blogger .

Subscribe to all Updates via Facebook